Inside This Issue
Buckingham Foods' Thomas Allen wins the Sandwich Designer of the Year prize for the second year running, and we have results from The Sammies.
International Sandwich and Snack News magazine is the official journal of the British Sandwich Association (BSA), the UK body representing Sandwich makers, suppliers and retailers.
The magazine is published six times a year and distributed to retail buyers, caterers, sandwich bars and associated businesses in the industry.
- Hain Celestial Group has acquired Nottingham based sandwich manufacturer Churchill Food Products, for an undisclosed sum.
- Sandwich manufacturer Urban Grazing is becoming a force to be reckoned with on the national scene, winning a number of new contracts in competitive tenders recently.
- Bream UK Foods, a sandwich manufacturer based in Southall, London has been fined a total of £20,000 for hygiene-related offences ranging from washing salads in sinks lined with grease to failing to tackle an "uncontrolled mice infestation."
- Now and again, the sandwich business takes a major leap forward with the advent of an inspirational new concept or innovation. Mooli's, a roti-based, Indian inspired operation, represents just such a breakthrough, says Nellie Nichols.
- Successful sandwich bar owners tend to share the same qualities and strengths. Mark Smedley, owner of two London shops, is a case in point, as Simon Ambrose discovered on a recent visit.
Sandwich Designer of the Year
- Buckingham Foods' Thomas Allen wins the title for the second year running.
- The industry Oscars: who won what and why.
- New developments from labelling manufacturers.
- Sandwich and coffe bars need to keep their finger on the pulse when it comes to coffee trends, with so much going on. Who better to keep us abreast than Kate Jones, who runs Cherizena coffee, at Wartnaby near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.