Inside This Issue
We take a look at Sainsbury's new freshley-made sandwich bar format, Fresh Kitchen and Jill Sutherland looks at the issues with starting and running a Sandwich and Coffee Shop.
International Sandwich and Snack News magazine is the official journal of the British Sandwich Association (BSA), the UK body representing Sandwich makers, suppliers and retailers.
The magazine is published six times a year and distributed to retail buyers, caterers, sandwich bars and associated businesses in the industry.
- Sainsbury's has taken a radical step with the opening of its new freshly-made sandwich bar format, Fresh Kitchen. Nellie Nichols went along to see how the new concept measures up against the very best.
- Simply Eat, the new Midlands sandwich bar chain, had just four stores at the time of going to press but it has just launched its franchise offer, which it believes will give the brand fast growth and make it a force to be reckoned with on the high street within the nex five years.
- Witney, Oxfordshire is positively heaving with sandwich bars and cafés, like most other small market towns these days. The oldest and busiest of them all is fresh baguette specialist Sandwich De Witney.
- The sandwich industry is increasingly looking for innovation and added-value from its salads suppliers, against a background of changing climatic conditions in European growing regions and now political instability in North Africa. Simon Ambrose talks to Andrew Boakes, Southern Salads' managing director.
Sutherlands Sandwich Surgery
- With trading conditions currently tough for independents, Jill Sutherland, award-winning Taste sandwich and café bar owner and author of "Start and Run a Sandwich and Coffee Shop," looks at the issues and recommends some steps that fellow owners can implement in their own outlets.
- Middlesbrough-based sandwich manufacturer "On a Roll" has recently utilised a Stevens Group ingredient control and traceability system to reduce "giveaway" and further improve on BRC traceability requirements.
Bakery and Snacks
- With 6.4 billion on-the-go snacking occasions each year, operators can't afford to ignore the category built on impulse and temptation. SSP UK brand director Steve MacDavid, who looks after brands including Upper Crust, Millie's Cookies and Caffe Ritazza, here gives an insight into what influences decisions across the portfolio.