Inside This Issue
The Sandwich Factory's Managing Director, Tony Cleaver, looks back at his long career in the trade, in an exclusive two-part series.
International Sandwich and Snack News magazine is the official journal of the British Sandwich Association (BSA), the UK body representing Sandwich makers, suppliers and retailers.
The magazine is published six times a year and distributed to retail buyers, caterers, sandwich bars and associated businesses in the industry.
- The British Sandwich Association has unveiled plans to attempt a new World Record for the largest number of people simultaneously making a sandwich in a five minute time period, as part of its British Sandwich Week activity this month May (12th-18th).
- Pret A Manger plans to create at least 500 new jobs in the UK this year, as part of a plan to add 1,000 new staff worldwide. Its announcement came as it reported a 17% rise in profits to £61.1m in 2012, with sales also up by 17% to £443m.
- Some fascinating research on the comparative merits of buying in or making food to go by SSP Supply Chain& Technical Manager David Jones, confirms the conventional wisdom that full shelves drive sales.
- Birleys have always set something of a benchmark for competitors in London. Their new flagship near Liverpool Street station – their 12th shop in total - puts them on a new pedestal and proves that the traditional sarnie shop can still hold its own against trendy international food-to-go.
- The recent London opening of Balthazar, Keith McNally’s highly successful New York restaurant, has been a hugely publicised event. Less well known is its Balthezar Bakery next door, selling wonderful sandwiches and salads. Juliet Shield paid a call.
- If ever there was a good example of a top sandwich bar in action it’s The Serious Sandwich in Chichester, where a deli background has given owners Trevor and Cindy Webber a taste for top ingredients.
- He founded two major sandwich manufacturing companies and has been one of the key figures in making the sandwich industry what it is today. Now Tony Cleaver, until recently The Sandwich Factory’s Managing Director, looks back at his long career in the trade, in an exclusive two-part series.
- Sandwich Designer of the Year heat results.
- The Sammies Shortlist.