Inside This Issue
We've got a full round up of the Sammies Awards and Sandwich Designer of the Year Competition.
- Sandwich manufacturer On A Roll Sandwich Company is investing £3.6m in a new factory and creating almost 100 new jobs. Recent growth means its 12,000 sq ft base at Riverside Park Middlesbrough is now operating at capacity, and work on a new 35,000 sq ft factory on the same site is expected to be complete in August.
- Raynor Foods is investing £2m in five new production lines to expand its presence in the burgeoning food to go sector. The new lines, installed in a revamped existing building on the site, will be up and running by February. Provision is being made for an additional 196 staff.
- Dom Salter is making a real name for himself as the fantastic artisan baker behind Cheltenham’s The Sandwich Box. His talent has been recognised with a series of awards recently, the latest being as a category winner at the recent Sandwich Designer of the Year final. He talks here to Simon Ambrose
- Classy Richmond independent Cook & Garcia opened their second site recently – at Monument in the City. Now backed by private equity company Oakfield Capital Partners, the shop could signal the start of a new chain in London. We spoke to Janet Garcia, co-founder of this award-winning sandwich and café bar
The Sammies Awards
All the Sammies awards and pieces on individual award winners
Sandwich Designer of the Year
- Forget the word ‘humble’, sandwiches are a real focus for innovation in the UK, and nowhere more so than at the annual Sandwich Designer of the Year competition. Simon Ambrose was there