Inside This Issue
British Sandwich Week is just around the corner and bigger and better than ever - Sunday 14 to Saturday 20 May 2017.
- Pret A Manger has opened a second vegetarian-only shop, in Shoreditch, East London. The opening follows the success of the
first, which initially opened in Soho last June as a pop-up, but was later turned into a permanent fixture following customer demand.
British Sandwich Week
- British Sandwich Week is just around the corner and bigger and better than ever - Sunday 14 to Saturday 20 May 2017. It’s a weeklong celebration of the greatest food to go and quite possibly the most iconic British culinary invention, the sandwich.
- Newcastle’s Dene’s Deli has to be one of the longest-running independent sandwich bars in the country at 27 years, with Gill Reeve at the helm for 25 of them. This is a story of adaptation and survival against a background of growing competition and changing tastes. Simon Ambrose reports
- Martin Johnson, Adelie Foods’ relatively new CEO, is looking to get the company back on track after a couple of difficult years, including the loss of the Sainsbury’s account, and a succession of owners. He’s confident that investment from the latest owner, ICG, in manufacturing, innovation and staff is now making the difference, with a major new range launch, extended contracts in the bag and a big new account lined up. He talks here to Simon Ambrose
- The Sunflower Sandwich Bar exemplifies all that’s best about the entrepreneurial spirit, adapting to changing market conditions and emerging more strongly. David Hopes, one of three directors there, tells the story
Week in the life of...
- Millie Deane, The FoodFellas’ channel controller for the sandwich market